Announcing a Very Special Workshop……
Treating the Farm as an Ecosystem
Soil, water, and sunlight. It is from these resources that all life develops. It is also from these resources that farmers make their living. And in order to ensure both our current success and the sustainability of future generations, we must regenerate our landscapes. Learn about how Brown’s Ranch, located near Bismarck, ND uses cover crops, zero-till, crop and livestock diversity, pasture recovery, and high density grazing as key tools to increase yield, profit, and efficiency. Their ever evolving strategies have significantly improved the mineral and water cycles, allow for 9+ months of grazing, and increase the topsoil and thereby the health of the entire farm.
Learn these replicable techniques in this full-day workshop, which will cover the following:
- History of Brown’s Ranch
- Soil Health: The soil beneath us is alive! There are more organisms in a teaspoonful of healthy soil than there are people on earth. Learn about:
- Growing Topsoil
- Cover Crop Mixes (to address resource concerns).
- Armor the Soil: Keeping the ground covered at all times.
- Animal Integration
- Using livestock as a tool
- Genetic selection, birthing dates
- Benefits of species diversity
- Holistic Management
- Maximizing income potential through:
- Stacked Enterprises
- Synergy Between Enterprises
Organic Growers School is a non-profit organization providing organic education since 1993. Our mission is to inspire, educate, and support people in our region to farm, garden, and live organically.