Below is the recipe presented by Dawn Matthews of the Thankful Goat at the 2014 Spring Conference in a class called Thirty-Minute Mozzarella. Enjoy!
30 Minute Mozzarella
- 1 gallon milk, goat or cow, not ultra pasteurized (Hopey aka Amazing Savings)
- 1½ tsp citric acid dissolved in 1 cup cool water (FBFC, Greenlife)
- ¼ tablet rennet dissolved in ¼ cup cool water
- You will need a 5 quart stainless steel pot and stainless steel cooking instruments, an instant read thermometer and a microwave oven.
- Pour 1 gallon of milk into 5 qt pot. Add 1½ tsp citric acid water to the milk.
- Heat slowly to 90°F.
- Remove from burner and slowly add the rennet water to the milk stirring slightly.
- Cover pot and let set 5 to 10 minutes.
- Check the curd by cutting it. If it is set cut in checkerboard pattern with a long knife. If it is too soft let it set a few more minutes.
- Place it back on the burner and let it heat up to 105 °F while stirring ever so slightly, not breaking up the curd.
- Take off the burner and slowly stir for another 2-5 minutes.
- Drain out the whey in a colander. Press the curd until all the whey is out.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Knead the cheese and return to the microwave for 30 seconds or until the curd is 135°F.
- Knead the curd, and then begin to stretch it like taffy. Pull it over and onto itself until it starts to set up and roll it into a ball.
You have cheese!
Author: Jenn Cloke
Jenn Cloke, originally from Atlanta, has lived in Western North Carolina for since 2006 and wears her Appalachian mantle proudly. Jenn was the Communications Coordinator for Organic Growers School from 2012 to 2014. She and her family run a small farm at the foot of Cold Mountain.