Erica was a HUGE supporter of my farm and was a major part in my expansion. Without the support and help from her, I am not sure I could have done this!
The purpose of the Mentor Services program is to support beginning and intermediate farmers by partnering them with experienced regional farmers who can provide them with one-on-one practical planning skills in the areas of:
- farm design and production
- marketing and business development
- systems management
- connecting them to the regional farming community
By serving as Mentors, regional farmers will be able to pass on the skills and knowledge that they possess to other farmers and help to build collaboration and community among the farming community.
Who is eligible to apply
We are looking for farmers who have been farming at least 1 year and/or have worked as a farm manager.
Each applicant will be evaluated on an individual basis. Farming partners who apply jointly will receive one mentor.
We are also offering a limited number of mentorships focused on forest farming, in partnership with Appalachian Beginning Forest Farmer Coalition. These will be offered as free or reduced fee mentorships. If you are interested, you can indicate that on your application.
- Complete application and interview;
- Respectful and timely communication with Mentor and Coordinator;
- Complete within one year
- Monthly digital tracking of time;
- Quarterly check in with Mentorship Program Coordinator.
- Application will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Matched with a mentor within one month of acceptance
Components of the Program:
- One on one Mentorship with an experienced farmer of up to 30 hours ($1000 value)
- Free or reduced fee mentorship for Forest Farming
- Access to Farm Beginnings® Coordinator for technical assistance (invaluable!)
Discount Offers to These OGS services (15%):
- Access to Sustainability consultant with OGS for farm design and systems development ($300 value)
- One year membership to Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training ($30 value)
- Access to Farm Succession services with OGS
- Single-day attendance at OGS Spring Conference 2021 & 2022 ($120 value)
$550 for 15 hours of Mentorship or $1100 for 30 hours (scholarships available).
Special reduced fee for Forest Farming Applicants!
Working with Erica at Bearded Birds Farm was an absolute pleasure. Erica came to me with great questions, and a passion for running her farm with minimal consumer waste and use of plastics, while maximizing her small space to its fullest potential. Erica and I still stay in touch even though the mentorship has ended. The check-ins, sharing of tips and tricks, and encouragement of each others passions in agriculture is what shines through the most.
For questions, please contact our Director of Programs & Human Resources, Nicole DelCogliano, at email@example.com
OGS Farmer Programs are made possible by our farmer network and our funding partners: Blooming Prairie Foundation, Community Foundation of WNC, CLIF Bar Family Foundation, Cornell Douglas Foundation, Harry Chapin Foundation, New Visions Foundation, Patagonia, Southern Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education, UNFI Foundation, Walnut Cove Members Association, WNC Bridge Foundation, and USDA-NIFA Beginning Farmer and Rancher Foundation. Our Growth Partners (year-round program support) are: Carolina Farm Credit, Buchi, Living Web Farms, and Gaia Herbs. Our Media Sponsors are WNCW, Asheville FM and Blue Ridge Public Radio.