A year-long program
Individualized to meet you where you are
in your farm business journey
2022-2023 Cohort Applications Now Open!
Application deadline: October 31st, 2022
Starting a farm is a formidable challenge, but keeping a farm business going, growing and thriving is even harder! The Journeyperson Program is designed for farmers who have been independently farming for 3 or more years, and are serious about operating farm businesses in the Southern Appalachian region. This program will give you the space and time to work on your business while making connections that deepen your peer-to-peer support.
Eligible applicants have:
- A minimum of three years independently farming
- A demonstrated commitment to farming in the Southern Appalachian region
- Production goals of feeding their community and region
- A demonstrated commitment to sustainable practices
Although not required, The Journeyperson Program is best suited for applicants that have the following:
- Secure medium to long-term land tenure (such as owned land or a lease contract)
- A focus on livestock and/or crop production for direct-to-consumer and/or wholesale markets
- An established farm business that needs support to refine their vision, apply whole-farm planning practices and willingness to fully utilize the resources of the program
OGS offers you a comprehensive package of support over 12 months:
3 Workshops/Trainings (November, January, February)
- Improving Farm Communications November 6th and 20th, 2022 with Steve Torma
- Holistic Financial Planning: January with Cree Bradley of Chelsea Morning Farm
- Advanced Enterprise Development: February with Holly Whiteside of Against the Grain Farm
- Mentorship: Work with an experienced Farmer Mentor for individualized one-on-one support
- Seasonal monthly virtual cohort meetings
- WNC CRAFT Farmer Network: Free Membership and mentoring in a regional farmer network
- Spring Conference: Free Admission to our 3 day conference
- Enrollment in our Savings Incentive Program where you receive matching funds for your farm savings account
- Identify & connect with Regional resource providers (lenders, land access organizations, small business centers)
- Discount Offers to OGS Services:
- 15% off of Sustainability Coaching & Consulting program for farm design and systems development
- 15% off of any other OGS workshops
What is unique about this program?
Participants can use this program as a tangible step toward achieving their farm goals, and make significant contributions to the agricultural community and economy. This program is designed to give tailored guidance and support for your farm business to answer questions of: scale, market access, land access, risk management, understanding cash flow, and enterprise innovation. You will leave this program with a responsive, adaptable business plan to help your farm achieve long-term farm viability and resilience.
For questions, please contact our Director of Programs & Human Resources, Nicole DelCogliano, at firstname.lastname@example.org
OGS Farmer Programs are made possible by our farmer network and our funding partners: Blooming Prairie Foundation, Community Foundation of WNC, CLIF Bar Family Foundation, Cornell Douglas Foundation, Harry Chapin Foundation, New Visions Foundation, Patagonia, Southern Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education, UNFI Foundation, Walnut Cove Members Association, WNC Bridge Foundation, and USDA-NIFA Beginning Farmer and Rancher Award #2021-70033-35717. Our Growth Partners (year-round program support) are: Carolina Farm Credit, Buchi, Living Web Farms, and Gaia Herbs. Our Media Sponsors are WNCW, Asheville FM and Blue Ridge Public Radio.