November 15th Application Deadline
The Journeyperson Program helps farmers expand and improve their farm business, planning smartly and going in deeper to analyze their individual business needs.
- The program is designed for beginning farmers who have been independently farming for 3 or more years and are serious about operating their farm business.
- This program includes a dive into holistic financial planning, revising goals and values, and more detailed enterprise analysis, all based on a solid foundation of their own farm numbers.
- Farmers will design a responsive, adaptable business plan to achieve long-term farm viability and resilience.
This 15-month program starts in December 2020 and ends in March 2022.
What is unique about this program?
As farmers push into years 4 and 5 in their farming journey, they have a sense of what their business is, what marketing channels they have, and what kinds of income and expenses they experience. In addition, they have a solid foundation in production. Participation will be limited to a small number, to not only allow you to learn from experienced farmers, but also to develop deeper relationships with farmers in a similar business phase. Mentorship, another key element of this program, can address your very specific farm and business needs.
Program Details: December 2020 – March 2022
In response to the need for virtual learning opportunities during the pandemic, we have restructured this program from in-person retreats to a webinar series.
- 4 Webinars: January & February 2021, 2022
- Work one-on-one with an Experienced Farmer Mentor
- WNC CRAFT Farmer Network: Membership and mentoring in a regional farmer network
- Identify & connect with regional resource providers (lenders, small business centers)
- Every-other-month virtual cohort meetings*
- Discount Offers to OGS Services:
Curriculum & Schedule
Journeyperson Course Schedule
JP Orientation: December 9th 6:30 pm- 8:00 pm
Retreat 1: January 9-10th, duration: TBD
Retreat 2: February 6-7th, duration: TBD
Monthly Cohort Meet Ups:
Last Wednesday of each month 6:30 PM or time TBD
*If we can safely meet up in person, we will do so as an optional gathering for participants.
For questions, please contact our Director of Programs & Human Resources, Nicole DelCogliano, at firstname.lastname@example.org
OGS Farmer Programs are made possible by our farmer network and our funding partners: CLIF bar Family Foundation, Southern Sustainable Agriculture, Research and Education UNFI Foundation, WNC Bridge Foundation, Harry Chapin Foundation, Walnut Cove, New Visions, and USDA Rural Development. Our Growth Partners (year-round program support) are: Carolina Farm Credit, Earth Tools, Buchi, Living Web Farms, Gaia Herbs and Chelsea Green Publishing. Our Media Sponsors are WNCW, Asheville FM and BPR. .