2018 Farmer Scholarship Fund Application
*** THE APPLICATION FOR 2018 IS NOW CLOSED. WE HAVE AWARDED OVER $6K IN SCHOLARSHIPS! PLEASE CHECK BACK SUMMER OF 2019 FOR NEW OPPORTUNITIES. ***
Organic Growers School is pleased to announce that we have scholarship funds available for aspiring, apprentice, beginning, and seasoned farmers in the OGS farm network (CRAFT & Farm Beginnings) to attend an upcoming food and farming related conference, workshop, or training of their choosing. This funding is an effort to make training and professional development opportunities more affordable for our local sustainable and organic farmers. This scholarship fund is available thanks to support from Simply Organic 1%, and the Community Foundation of WNC.
- Scholarships will only be awarded to active members of the WNC CRAFT farmer network, current Farm Beginnings® participants, Farm Beginnings® graduates, and farmer instructors for Farm Beginnings®.
- Scholarships will be given to the audiences listed above who plan to attend a local or non-local food and/or farming related conference, training, or workshop in order to further their professional development. Applicants may apply for cost of registration and/or travel costs to attend.
- The conference, training, or workshop must be occurring between July 2018-March 2019.
- OGS encourages you to first see if your desired event offers scholarships of their own. Applicants are encouraged to take advantage of cheaper early registration rates, so that the scholarship funds are available to more applicants.
- Each applicant may receive no more than one scholarship per year.
- OGS scholarship funds will be available to applicants while the money lasts. If you know of a training later in the year that you would like to attend, apply now before the funding pool is gone.
- If you are awarded a scholarship for registration to an event, OGS will register you directly for the workshop, conference, or training. If you are applying for travel costs those must be paid by the applicant up front and will be reimbursed after attending your chosen event.
- Scholarship awardees are responsible for sharing their experience or knowledge gained in some way and therefore contributing to the OGS farming community. That may include writing a short essay, creating a photo journal, mentoring someone else, giving a talk, or incorporating your knowledge gained into a CRAFT farm tour, etc.
- Scholarship awardees must inform OGS as soon as possible to any changes in registration or attendance to the conference, training, or workshop.
Proposals may be submitted online using the form below OR in hard copy no later than November 1, 2018.
Mail hard copy proposals to: Organic Growers School P.O. Box 17804 Asheville, NC 28816
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis but are due no later than November 1st, 2018.