Internships offer an opportunity to provide service to the local, organic, sustainable food movement while gaining professional skills, building experience, attaining credit, and networking with OGS staff, board members, and an extended sustainable food and farming network.
When: Internships are 3-month intervals of service. See individual listings below for start details. We offer flexible schedules to accommodate other jobs and schooling.
Where: Interns will work out of the OGS offices at 1465 Sand Hill Road, Candler, NC, and in the field at events and programs.
Compensation: All internship positions with OGS are unpaid. We are happy to work with you to fulfill the academic requirements of your university or college. We also offer our interns FREE access to OGS programs, including but not limited to admission to the Spring and Fall farming conferences, farm-to-table benefit dinners, and WNC farm tours throughout the year. This is a great opportunity to meet WNC farmers and sow seeds of your homesteading or farming dreams.
How: Please apply to a specific internship by emailing the contact person listed.
Consulting & Coaching Internship
Timeline: 3-6 Months
Start Date: Winter 2018
Hours per week: 10-15 hours per week
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Consulting Internship” in the subject line.
Description: A unique opportunity for hands-on, practical, real-world exposure to site design, land planning, and all aspects of sustainability coaching. The Coaching & Consulting Intern will support, assist, and shadow our Coach & Consultant, Brandon Greenstein, at garden, yard, homestead, and farm projects in the WNC region. This internship, along with permaculture, engineering, construction, gardening, or other training will pave the way to improving your own farm or homestead skills or to work in any of these fields more effectively. You will learn to think critically, design ecologically and holistically, relate to others deeply, and work at creating regenerative and resilient culture.
Tasks encompass all aspects of the new OGS coaching program which may include program assessment, design, and evaluation; phone, email, survey responses, communication, and follow-up; marketing support; site-visit support such as voice recording, photo documenting, note-taking; and more.
We’re looking for the following criteria:
- Strong interest and experience in organic growing, homesteading, or farming
- Reliable transportation
- Training in permaculture or other land-based design systems
- Experience working in collaboration with others
- Good customer service, communication, and people skills
- Organizational skills
- Critical thinking, design, and planning experience a plus
- Computer literate, having worked with Google Drive, MS Office, databases, and, ideally, survey systems
Photo & Video Internship
- Photography or Videography of Organic Growers, Projects, Tours and other OGS events.
- Photography and Video Editing
- Strong interest in supporting farmers and organic farming
- Experience with working in teams
- Organized, detail oriented, fast learner
- Skilled in photography, videography, editing, writing, and/or marketing